I'm one of those parents who believe it's important to be involved at the school, especially since I'm going to have kids in this school district for at least the next 18 years - EEKS! When Natalie was in kindergarten, I kind of checked things out, did the room mother thing, and went to a couple of PTO meetings. Last year, I was the PTO treasurer and a room mother. This year, I've ditched the evil PTO (whoa nelly... the power trips!!!) and moved on to the lower profile site council (and assistant room mother *lol*). Whereas the PTO is involved in the visible support of the school (fundraisers, volunteer efforts, etc), the site council focuses on assessment scores, school safety issues, teacher retention, etc. I was also asked to be the school's representative on the district site council (let this be a lesson to you... don't hang around aimlessly near the principal's office while waiting to take your child to a dentist appointment!). The district site council has parent representatives from all eight elementary schools, two junior highs, and the senior high. We talk about facility constraints, and assessment scores, and issues with the teachers unions, and the nitty gritty that affects our kids every day in school, but which really isn't visible if you're only seeing the stuff that goes on in the building. And let's face it... most parents aren't really paying attention at the building level either.
We had a district site council meeting tonight. We have a great school district academically, but we have some serious space issues. Committees have been formed and progress has been made and our district is going to see some significant changes over the next five years. But what we kept hearing all night long was that the thing that will make the most difference for our kids is parental involvement. Parental involvement in homework. Parental involvement in the classroom. Parental involvement in school administration.
So, here's my message for tonight. Get involved. Spend a day once a month at the school making copies for the teachers. Read in the classroom. Offer to spend an evening making flash cards or cutting out designs for art projects. Attend the PTO meetings (but avoid the ones where people are screaming and throwing things... this happens more often than you might think). Find out what's happening at the district level. You will be amazed at the knowledge you'll gain. Knowledge is power - the power to make our kids' educational experience everything it's supposed to be.
Monday, January 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
Hear! Hear! Dianna! As a former classroom teacher, I second your statement and wish more parents would do the same. You have no idea how much help one hour a week can help out a teacher (especially at the elementary level)!!! I adored my parents that not only did my classroom parties and such, but were there weekly to just help where needed. If you are able, VOLUNTEER! :) You will be greatly loved and appreciated by your child's teacher!
We don't even have a referral yet, but we are planning on filling out the enrollment information for elementary school and getting involved in the different parent committees right away!
I agree. It's so important to get involved..for the schools and for your kids. I'm new at the school thing...Ava just started kindergarten this year...but I'm learning as I go :)
AMEN!!! I am a former teacher now working in school administration and I agree. It makes a huge difference not only in your own child's education, but in the school as a whole. Any teacher would greatly appreciate all the help! They are overworked and underpaid and the majority of teachers really care about their students. So hear, hear...preach on!
I'm also a former second grade teacher and I applaud parents who care. Thanks!
This is a great post and I agree 100%.
I worked at a private school doing evaluations on kids when I was in college. The school was private but it was funded by charity and the kids who attended were mostly poor Mexican kids. The school had a requirement that if you want your kids to go there, you have to be involved to a certain extent. I think it was a great model.
Post a Comment