The Chinese adoption community is outraged over a segment by CNN's Paula Zahn last night. The show was supposed to be about the new requirements in Chinese adoption. It turned into a racist attack aimed at parents who want 'China dolls' instead of black American children. The reasons ranged from "China girls are smart" to "Black kids are lazy".
If you didn't see the show, you can read the transcript here:
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0701/05/pzn.01.html
This isn't just about Chinese adoptions. It's about all international adoptions. It's about OUR children. We should all be outraged that a national news show perpetuated racial stereotypes without knowing anything about domestic or international adoption laws. I hope you write CNN. Go a little further and write some of the advertisers. The Rumor Queen has everything nicely laid out for you on her site: www.chinaadopttalk.com
Saturday, January 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
This was the worst piece of "journalism" I have ever watched!! The new China regulations were barely even mentioned in the "New China Regulations" segment. I immediately wrote to them after the show. Now, I must go back to playing with my daughter...ya know the one I adopted because she's going to be super smart and because it was the "cute thing to do". Grrrrrrr.
I sent off a seething email. So much for the "experts" ! UGH! We adopted Asian born twins because we secretly wanted DOUBLE THE BRILLIANCE. Yeah right! Boo to Paula Zahn and her form of "journalism."
If her panel was actually "experts" Then they would know that African American families adopt Asian children too!
They too must want "brilliant" children.
That's what I sent to her....
So, they are chastising us adopting parents for stereotyping by stereotying us? It was a horrendous segment. Thank you for posting this; I hadn't seen it before.
The retraction show wasn't a lot better but at least they had some people on there who knew something about IA. I think they were floored by the outrage the adoptive community aimed at them. I mean, to do another show so quickly...wow, we have some power! Like Rachel said, I have to go play with my sweet Chinese daughter who I obviously chose b/c she will be smart and good at math!! AAAAAHHHHHH
Post a Comment