We had our first interview today at the U.S. Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City. It was odd to walk into a building and see a sign for the Department of Homeland Security. It was even odder to see pictures of George Bush, Dick Cheney, and Condileeza Rice on the walls! Then, to make things even slightly more surreal, there was a cabinet selling souveniers - tshirts, coffee mugs, etc... Oooooooooooookey dokey :)
Anywho, we were all sweating bullets by the time we got to the building, but this time it was nerves instead of humidity. However, the interviewer (Mary Ann something-son - I can't believe I can't remember her last name) was nice as can be. There were a few basic questions to be sure our information hadn't changed since we applied for the I600A and then questions about Phoebe's health and her orphanage. Then we had a nice long talk about the corruption in Vietnam adoption and some of the incredibly scary things she's seen lately. I promise a nice long post on that when we get home and are settled in. Since today is Friday, we weren't sure if we would get the decision today or Monday, but our interviewer was sweet and Minh was able to pick up the decisions for our families this afternoon (all of us 'passed'). We went to the Vietnam Airlines office and made reservations to leave HCMC on Sunday at 6 p.m. - on to Hanoi!
Tonight is our dinner with the Dillon staff at a Vietnamese restaurant. Minh promises a traditional Vietnamese meal... another adventure!
Friday, November 09, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
That's great news. I'm glad everything went well with the CIS interview. The internet is chaos these days. Rumors flying everywhere. So it's good know things are working the way they are supposed to.
Enjoy your last few days in HCMC!!
Yippee for progress! Her name is Mary Ann Russell and she did our first interview as well. I thought she was very pleasant. I would love to hear the ins and outs of that conversation as there seems to be a great need for some first hand, reliable info lately.
Anyway, enjoy your last little taste of HCMC. Can't wait to hear more!
Excellent news Dianna! it sounds like you are having quite a trip - all good and handling the adventure beautifully. I love hearing about it. We are moving along here... and hope to have some good news of our own shortly.
All right on to Hanoi! I am so glad things are going well for you! Nothing like a whirlwind trip. I hope you don't encounter anymore glitches.
Great News! So glad you guys are doing great & on to Hanoi! Congrats & your little Phoebe looks wonderful too!
Heather M.
On to Hanoi and closer to home! Glad all is going well. I, too, am really interested in your summary when you get back and have time to collect your thoughts.
Enjoy!
Glad it all went off without a hitch. Can't wait to read your post about it later.
Enjoy your dinner with the staff. It is VERY yummy! I really enjoy reading about your journey.
I'm glad everything went well with CIS, and I, too, can't wait to "hear" about that conversation you had with the interviewer about what's been going on!
Post a Comment