I'm going to be somewhat cautious in this post, since I'd prefer to not be sued by an adoption agency or four for damaging their reputations. However, I've been promising this post for a bit now so here goes.
Right before we left for Vietnam, the NOIDs started coming fast and furious. I'm more than a little information-obsessed and it wasn't difficult to find out the names of the agencies and provinces involved. I'll admit that I went to Vietnam with a suspicious attitude and my eyes wide open.
The interview at the Consulate opened my eyes even further. I guess I'm naive, but even with all the information sources I cultivate, I had no idea how bad things were. Mary Ann Russell was extremely forthcoming, not only with me but with the other families as well. She made it clear that the lack of health records for the infants is her pet peeve. Since Vietnam has reopened, she's seen supposedly healthy babies with heart defects, deafness, so critically ill that the Consulate interview had to be delayed for two weeks, and malignant cancer that had been represented to the parents as benign. She seemed angry on behalf of the parents, who were expecting to meet their healthy child and instead found themselves confronted with serious medical issues. We talked about agencies who stayed in Vietnam during the previous shutdown to do humanitarian work - 'good' agencies, as she said - agencies who cared about the children. We talked about the ridiculously short timelines offered by some agencies. There were questions about our timeline as well - when were we DTV, when were we logged in, when did we receive our referral, when did we receive our approval to travel from the DIA.
Mary Ann Russell is a brusque lady with a booming voice. She can be intimidating, especially considering the position she holds. But I truly believe she cares about the children of Vietnam. We talked briefly about the current NOID situation and she explained that NOIDs were not issued lightly. That, in fact, the paperwork had to go to her boss in Bangkok for review before a NOID could be issued. She answered every question I had and, if there weren't three other families in the waiting room and a squirming baby in my arms, I would have loved to have spent the afternoon with her.
We didn't see many other adoptive families in Ho Chi Minh. Hanoi was a different story. Families with babies - some with two babies - were everywhere. One of the first people we ran into was a woman whose G&R had been September 6th. She had been issued a NOID and had stayed with her daughter to fight the ruling. She was the sweetest woman and was very helpful in directing us to grocery stores, etc but I'll admit to staying as far away as possible, as if her situation was contagious. We ran into a man with his son, who was currently in investigation. His wife and newly adopted daughter had gone home, but he was waiting for his son's Visa approval. The children were not related and were a couple of months apart in age. We found out on the day we left Vietnam that his son had been issued a NOID. I flew home with this man, all the way to Chicago. His agency is not one of the ones commonly known to be receiving NOIDs, but is one that I personally wouldn't touch with a 10 ft. pole. We talked quite a bit in the airports and I felt so sorry for him and his wife. Their situation was heartbreaking - how hard to be alone on that airplane when you had planned on holding your baby. At the same time, I was thinking, "How did you not know this could happen?" They'd already lost a couple of referrals because their agency didn't think the paperwork would stand up to review. Also on those planes were two families whose paperwork had been in review for five weeks. They had received their childrens' Visas on the day we went to apply for ours and we met at the Embassy. After a couple of questions, consisting of "How long have you been here" and "Is this your first interview or second", we didn't speak again. Our two weeks obviously placed us in a different spot than their five weeks and it seemed as if they resented us for it. After five weeks, I'm sure their nerves were fried and I understood their resentment, but it underlined an attitude of PAP vs PAP that I felt in Hanoi.
Hanoi was tense. I probably felt it more than most because I was looking for it. I was looking for wrongdoing. I was looking for examples of the unethical practices I've heard about. I really didn't have to look that hard. I would hear a story and mentally try to guess which agency a family was working with. But what was driven home for me while in Vietnam is that behind every story is a heartbroken family. Yes, you can argue that they should have done their research. They should have been more educated in their agency choice. They should have asked some hard questions. But these people did not set out to endorse baby selling or any other unethical practice. They wanted to add to their families. And in their eagerness to do so, they trusted someone they shouldn't have.
Mary Ann Russell told me that the new I-600 procedures will give PAPs enough information to decide 'whether to come ahead or go a different direction' (not a direct quote, but as close as I can come). PAPs deserve to have as much information about their children and the circumstances of their availability for adoption as possible BEFORE they make an expensive trip overseas. BEFORE they spend weeks bonding with a sweet little person who will make your heart melt. BEFORE they have to take a long plane ride home without the baby they've been dreaming of.
Monday, November 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



13 comments:
Very insightful.
Thanks.
Thanks for the info. Glad you are all getting settled and the sisters are doing well. :)
Very brave of you - I think you shared in a very appropriate way. I noticed the same thing even a full year ago - in Hanoi you really did not have to look hard to see all the corruption and at very least the concerning agency behaviors, stories, etc. It almost felt like those experiencing ethical adoptions with solid agencies were the exception. So glad you are home!
Wow - thanks for sharing! We had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Russell during our first adoption as well. I'm not positive, but I think we were with the same agency as the man you mentioned (who came home with a daughter but got a NOID for his son) was with. I just wish I could have had the opportunity to speak with her BEFORE we'd chosen an agency.
At least talking with her helped us to choose this time around. I'm glad for the new policy, although it has delayed our individual case, but am bummed we won't have the opportunity to speak with her again since the I-600 interview is no longer necessary. She sure doesn't hold back in naming agencies or giving the dirt!!
Thanks for sharing so openly and honestly. And congrats to your family!
Very good info. I wondered what you saw in Hanoi and who you encoungered. Thanks for sharing. I am so glad you are home!
Wow, must have been one interesting conversation. I would have loved to be a fly on that wall.
I appreciate the honesty in what is happening. It's always good to hear a first hand account of what is seen.
Thank you for this post! It is really good to get a first-hand account/impression of what is going on right now. My husband would have been so hosed in that interview! He couldn't tell you our DTV date or log in date or even referral date to save his life! And since I'm not going, he'd be up that creek. Anyway, thanks again for you insights.
Thanks for all the information Dianna. I also noticed that once we arrived in Hanoi we were surrounded by APs with young babies, where as in HCMC I don't think we ran into any other families, besides the other Dillon families. I got a good vibe from Ms. Russell, and I too think she's acting in the best interest of the kids and the APs.
I had to laugh when I read Elaine's comment. Tim hardly said anything during our interviews, as he pretty much knew nothing and I could have spouted off the dates of every milestone, even the insignificant ones. :)
I want to thank you for your post too - so very well said. As I sit on this side of it all (waiting for a referral) I have read a lot and made a lot of educated guesses about what is going on. So much has been said over the past month or two, and at times things have gotten very ugly. To have you share what you have experienced first-hand, in such an honest way, speaks volumes to me and is beyond helpful. And I really appreciate hearing from you (Laurie has done the same) about Mary Ann and those in that piece of the puzzle - there are definitely two sides to every experience! Maybe as more families like yours share what they saw in such a straightforward way we can start to come together and tackle the problems in this process.
Great post. I hate that bad agencies have resulted in PAPs pitted against one another. I really hope the new I600 process effectively prevents the corruption that leads to NOIDS.
this was really insightful. thank you for sharing your experience. i am glad you are home and all is well.
Just found your blog today. This is such a well-written, balanced post. One of the best I've seen on this subject so far. Thank you for sharing this!
Michelle
autadopt.blogspot.com
what a great post!
thank you. I know what you mean- we experienced the samething in Hanoi in April- but I was the same way as you paranoid-even back then!
Post a Comment