Saturday, February 03, 2007

Book Snob

Have I told you that I'm a book snob? Not regarding content... I'll pretty much read anything you put in front of me. In fact, tonight I've been reading the latest in the 'Undead and Unwed' series and it's about vampires, which I'm totally not into. (But Oh My Gosh, the dialogue is wickedly hillarious and the main character is the Queen of the Undead and lives for expensive shoes and you should read at least one of the books even if they are trashy chick lit!!!).

Ahem... as I was saying...

I'm a book snob. My books are in pristine condition. And I do mean PRISTINE. When I'm done reading them, you could probably take my books back to Barnes & Noble and return them as unread. Not that B&N would ever consider allowing book returns. Ha! Only in an alternative universe. But once again, I digress.

This book snob thing was brought to my attention at the last book club, where I was unabashedly making fun of one of our members for always skipping to the end to see what happens, and then reading the rest of the book. (Which I can NEVER do, because then I lose interest in the stuff that came first because it doesn't matter anymore.) In retaliation, it was noted that my books don't even look like they have been read, let alone like anyone skipped to the end :)

I admit it. I'm a book snob. I read and re-read the books I love. I must own them. If I check out something amazing from the library, I often will buy a copy of my own. I receive great pleasure from crisp pages and shiny, unmarked covers. So here are the essential rules: Don't crack the spine. Please please please refrain from turning down the corner of a page to mark your place. Don't EVER write in the page margins - that's what Post-It Notes are for. And if you're eating something messy Put. The. Book. Down.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Amen, sister! LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm afraid I can't amen that at all! My books and I get down in the real deep together, so they get marked in and commented on, and the pages turned down on stuff I need to refer back to later, and a few water spots from reading in the tub, and maybe a little smear from some ketchup or something now and then. Okay, so now you know to never loan me a book. But I don't do that to other people's books, just my real favorites that have become my friends. (But probably not the light reading ones much.) One thing we do share--the sheer love of them!!

JoanP

Nichole Foster said...

i am a reading FANATIC but I have to say I break the spine OFTEN... but I usually read a paperback so it is smaller to store, and I don't go to the library I just buy bookoo books...lol.

But I am with you I will read almost anything. Right now I am reading my DH's much snubbed Louis L'amour books, I detest westerns but I ran out of books and money to buy new ones...lol

Nichole

Rachel said...

Oooh...I HATE dog eared corners. And if the spine is broke I can't concentrate correctly on the story because I'm obsessed with the book not staying open properly. I guess I'm a book snob too.