People with guns suck. I don't care if I'm generalizing. That's how I feel today.
Also, I'm getting very concerned with messages I'm seeing on China adoption sites. I've been meaning to blog about this for a while now. Since the wait time for China is lengthening significantly (some places are predicting up to a 3 year wait after paperwork is logged in), everyone seems to be talking about 'interim adoptions'. As in: I want a baby now, so I'm going to jump over and adopt a baby from a different country while I'm waiting for the baby I really want to come home from China.
I'm not saying it's wrong to change countries. We've done it :) However, the message I'm getting is 'we're sticking with China, but it's not going fast enough so I'm going to do this first'. That's bad for several reasons, and I'll enumerate a couple here because it's my blog and I can complain if I want to...
1) You're sending a message to your 'interim adopted child' that you can't wait for the child you started the process for. Your first child will actually be your 'second choice'.
2) You supposedly were drawn to China for a reason. You did your research. You made the decision and started the process and went through six months of paperwork to get to this stage. And now you're jumping to any country with a 'fast' program without going through due process.
3) Vietnam seems to be a popular country for the 'interim adoption' threads. I'll say this as clearly as possible: Any program that promises infant girls with a quick referral and short travel time is not acting ethically. To think that you can start the process now and have your tiny baby girl home in 6-9 months is not possible. Even with a super fast homestudy revision. Even with an I-600 already approved for 2 kids. Not happening. Not legally anyway. If you liked China because of the stable process and ethical government oversight, then why is it okay to adopt quickly through another country... ANY country... without worrying about ethics?
I completely understand that three years is an unacceptable amount of time to wait for your child. One of the many reasons we switched from the Korea program was the uncertain lengthening time frame. But what happens if the China program speeds up? Placements within a year of each other are typically not allowed. Do you then resent your first adopted child because he or she has caused you to 'miss out' on your Chinese daughter? Or do you drop your interim referral if your China referral comes through before you travel to whatever country you've gone to for a quick process?
Fast isn't necessarily better. I know it feels like it sometimes. Lord knows, I'd like a little 'fast' in our process right now. But there are consequences.
Monday, April 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
I Agree 10000%. The other disturbing thing I am seeing is people adopting 2 kids from Vietnam from 2 different agencies at the sme time. is that even legal?
I can see switching countries for many reasons, including extremely long wait times like the China families are facing. But I agree that families need to think long and hard about whether to pursue a 2nd adoption DURING their 1st adoption. I think often it is a matter of families wanting to adopt more than one and deciding to start the process for #2 right now because #1 is taking so long. Is that a good thing? I just don't know. I wouldn't do it. And I think you make valid points regarding whether or not there would be any ill feelings on the part of the parents or children, or if the 2nd adoption could possibly interfere with #1.
And I just have to remark about the quick Vietnam agencies. Man, this is starting to really bug me. I saw a comment on a blog yesterday who said their agency has a very short wait for girl referrals because they work with 4 provinces. FOUR??? Dillon works with 5 and they sure don't have a short wait...and it's been consistently increasing. And no it's not because they have a big program. What was the last count? Only 13 families waiting for a referral, or something like that? Some PAP's have their head in the sand big time. It's really starting to irritate me.
Whew! Sorry about the book ;)
Well said. I think sometimes parents get in such rush to build their families that they often forget the time needed back home for adjusting. None of us like the long wait but we knew that going in.
I am also disturbed to read about agencies that have such a short wait. This is why Vietnam was closed a few years ago because some agencies were not being ethical.
You all should read this blog. He really has shed light on the shorter waits in Vietnam. Check it out
http://www.adoptionbuzz.org/
Heather
As an adoptee, I really don't see a problem with interim adoptions. Why would you not want to see 2 children in need of a home not be placed with families as soon as possible???!!!!
Laura
KAD '84
Post a Comment