Monday, October 30, 2006

Another Option


I've been wanting something a little more 'subtle' than the family tree logo, for those who aren't quite ready to announce their adoption to the world, but want something that connects them to their little ones, waiting in Vietnam. The other graphic designer in our office did this for me...

The Vietnamese flag is a simple red rectangle with a yellow star in the center. I've replaced the star to indicate that our hearts are in Vietnam. Items (tshirts, sweatshirts, mouse pads, magnets, and more) with this logo and the family tree logo are available at www.cafepress.com/kansasfamily.

The funny thing is that I could come up with all sorts of cute sayings to go with the graphic, but each and every one of them would have been offensive to someone involved in the adoption process. The reading and research I've done since we've started this adoption have been so educational, but evidently I still have preconceived notions about my importance in this process. My very favorite (and the most offensive) potential saying was 'Born in Vietnam, Loved in the U.S.A.'... ahem... I'm almost ashamed to admit that I thought of that. It's absolutely adorable until you remember that there's a mother in Vietnam who loves her child enough to send them halfway around the world to find another family. And if she didn't make that horrible, hard decision, I wouldn't be a mom again. So I decided to just go with the heart and let everyone make up their own slogans *lol*

And for those of you who are counting, I've been waiting for our I-171H for 5 whole days....

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I think the heart flag is so sweet! It does get hard to not step on anyone's toes and I'm not sure there will ever be adoption lingo that everyone agrees with. I like the simplicity of the flag by itself. :)