Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Holy Crap, I Lied.

In a recent post, I mentioned that I no longer courted the popular crowd and I really didn't need outside accolades to feel good about myself. Wow, I totally lied. Like a rug. And Christina evidently knew that because...


I got an award!

And then tonight, I'm popping around the internet, checking on Dillon families, and I see that Melissa has given me the same award! How in the heck does that happen? I mean, I knew the Vietnam adoption community was an incestuous little group... but still! Whoo! Talk about making my week :)

And trust me people, it's only Wednesday and my week needed a serious upswing.

Truly, thanks Christina. You are someone I respect in the adoption world. I know that you are devoted to ethical adoptions from every country. I love how you share so much of yourself. Although I'm a tad irritated that you also gave an award to Elaine because now what do I do? And Melissa? You are so strong. You've hung in there, hoping that Vietnam was the place your third child resided. I can't wait to see you find that little person! Although you are also on my hit list for nominating Meredith AND Erin. See also: incestuous blog community.

Now, I get to return the favor and nominate some people who make me smile.


These are the rules:

1. The recipient must link back to the award’s creator. (a high schooler! high school-ee? hmm.)
2. You must post these rules if you recieve the award.
3. You must choose 5 people to recieve the award after recieving it yourself
4. You must fit the characteristics of the recipient of the award, as posted by Mere.
5. You must post the characteristics of a recipient.
6. You must create a post sharing your win with others.
7. You must thank your giver.

Characteristics for the Smile Award:

1. Must display a cheerful attitude. (not necessarily at all times–we are all human)
2. Must love one another
3. Must make mistakes
4. Must learn from others
5. Must be a positive contributor to blog world
6. Must love life
7. Must love kids


So... Here you go. My Top 5. I'm feeling a tad like David Letterman right now...


1) Rachel. I have no idea how I would have survived the adoption process without Rach. At the moment, she's experiencing giddyness as a result of the election season, qualifying her nicely according to characteristic #1. She posts pictures of herself in less than flattering lights on purpose, which I think embodies characteristic #3! And look at any pictures of her girls and you'll see how #s 6 and 7 are met. Go Rach!


2) Jess. Jess has been a huge advocate for the continuation of ETHICAL adoptions from Vietnam. Bex is quite the whirlwind, yet Jess is always gloating (in a motherly-pride type of way) about his successes and accomplishments. Heck, the kid is shaving and he's not even 2 1/2! Advanced, I tell ya'! On the 'must make mistakes' list... well, she counts me as a friend and you know that's not going to end well. Heh.

3) Shannon. I love Shannon! One of her munchkins has Downs Syndrome. I would love to meet that little guy! He's obviously the light of his mama's life and I think Shannon is terrific at keeping D.S. in the spotlight. If you're not the mother (or sister) of a disabled child, you can't understand what it's like to love and live with that child until someone like Shannon shows you. Plus, she has two gorgeous girls to brag about too!

4) Nadra. Two beautiful little boys from two different countries, and a heart that goes on and on. (okay, admit it... who flashed back to the Leo DiCaprio movie???) Nadra, you embody #2 on the Smile Award requirements list. Your faith and your patience are amazing. For those of you who don't know Nadra, this woman threw herself into planning Dillon's Vietnam Heritage Weekend and then attended the entire shebang, not knowing when her own precious Drew would be home. That is someone who loves others.

5) Leigh. Although Leigh is not my husband's favorite person right now (primarily because of the DAYS of conversations he's been subjected to about new camera purchases), Leigh is definitely one of MY favorite people. Forget the fact that my oldest daughter and her son have a mother-arranged prom date. Forget the fact that Little Sister has the cutest hair and craziest smile ever seen on the internet. Leigh is unfailing in her support of Dillon families. She's been a cheerleader for all of us, whether still in the adoption process or dealing with issues once we've come home.

There are so many more I could mention, but the orchestra is starting to play and the camera guy is telling me it's time to go to commercial. Plus, there are a few camera auctions I'm watching on eBay...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Incestuous community! You're right, of course, but it's still hilarious!

Anonymous said...

See you made me smile AGAIN right here in this post! Clearly I chose the right person for the award. :-)

Anonymous said...

You know what's funny? You got the award on my blog as well. LOL How does that make you feel?