Monday, September 01, 2008

Another Ending

September 1st. Today is the day the Memorandum of Understanding between the U.S. and Vietnam expires, ending adoptions for who knows how long. My head is spinning in so many directions on this.

I'm incredibly grateful to have our daughter home. I ache for the questions I'm sure she'll have someday. I hurt for the families who have invested so much in Vietnam, only to have their dossiers scheduled for return. I'm angry at the agencies and adoption representatives on both sides of the ocean who took advantage of the reopening to line their own pockets at the expense of innocent children. I'm ashamed of my own government, not for taking actions to ensure ethical adoptions, but for being so incredibly insensitive and unyeilding in carrying out its new policies. I'm proud of my adoption agency for its commitment to stay in Vietnam, as it did through the last shutdown, to make sure children at its orphanages have access to food, medical care, and education. I'm hopeful that there will be a new agreement, but I don't think it will come quickly.

VVAI has a post from Nicki that I think is excellent, and I'm looking forward to reading more in the next few days, as they attempt to answer some of the questions left hanging as we reach the end of the MOU.

No comments: