Saturday, May 19, 2007

Adjusting Expections

So let's break it down.

  • We're #5 on the waiting list for a little girl.
  • Referrals of girls are currently coming in at approximately one each month.
  • If the current rate continues, we can hope for a referral in September.
  • Travel is running 4-5 months after referral.
  • A September referral would have us travelling in January or February.
  • Tet is at the end of January next year, so most likely February or even March.

Yes, there's always a chance that a flood of referrals will come in but I think I'd rather look at the realistic scenario right now and then be thrilled if things move faster than expected. I'm actually somewhat okay with this. It's easier than hoping and praying for a July referral so that we can travel by Christmas. I was just setting myself up for disappointment, and I knew it.

September. Yeah, that will work.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been doing the math, too, and for us way down the list that's a loong wait -- we're talking a year and a half until we travel. Hmph. I'm not too happy about that.

But September is good, definitely! You can enjoy your summer and then to start the fall you'll have a picture of your little girl! Yay. :)

Julie said...

Here's hoping our homestudy is done soon and maybe we will get a referral for a little guy by September. Traveling would be fun!!!

Tricia and Kirk said...

Dianna! Our twelth anniversary was today too!!!! We have way too much in common.
Tricia

Tricia and Kirk said...

Oh, also I wanted to let you know that for some reason my email won't deliver to you. I've been trying to email a response to your email for days and it keeps returning. I was just going to say that you coworker quotes my favorite movie when he/she says "I don't think that word means what you think it means" another weird coincidence.

Heather said...

Congratulations on twelve years!

Anonymous said...

The math stinks sometimes, but it's SO much easier on the heart to look at all possible outcomes.

And Happy Anniversary!!!!

Unknown said...

I have been doing the same kinds of revisionist math, but it's hard. I am 10th I think, and while I understand the changes, and have revised from going by Christmas to having a picture by Christmas, I now have to think about not even having a picture by then.

I also want to mention how hard it is on the sibling(s) waiting at home. When I originally told my son he's 11) about the timeline, I stretched it out to beyond my wildest expectations, so as to not disappoint him. Now it looks like those dates might be too early. Did I mention this is hard?

I love your attitude and I hope your timeline is pleasantly off.

Kelly

S. said...

I totally agree, I would rather tell myself the worst case scenario, then be disappointed.