Monday, December 18, 2006

IPOY

Did you know that I met Mr. Rogers?

We were living in Pittsburgh and I was working for the United Way. As a celebration at the end of a very tough campaign year, we went to the studio where Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood was filmed. We got a tour of the place from Mr. McFeeley (Speedy Delivery!) and had lunch, during which Fred Rogers came in and said he was proud of us for working so hard, while doing such an important thing for our community. I think I glowed, I was so happy. I was 26 or 27 at the time and even at an age where I should have 'grown up', meeting the man in the red sweater was beyond belief.

In November, my friend Melanie gave me a book written by Tim Madigan, about his friendship and correspondence with Mr. Rogers, and I finally dug in over the weekend. Madigan was going through many struggles in his life when he met Fred Rogers, and Mr. Rogers started signing all of their correspondence with 'IPOY, Fred'.

IPOY = I'm Proud of You.

I cried several times last night while reading this book. First, because I still find it sad that Fred Rogers is gone. Second, because those simple words made all the difference in the author's life - it's truly an amazing story of his journey to faith and family. And third, because Mr. Rogers said those words to me.

Fred Rogers was a Presbyterian minister. He spoke softly to children about death, divorce, bullying, and other topics that confuse and upset kids... and adults. I still watch Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood with my daughters, and often hear something profound that echoes in my heart. We all long to be loved and accepted by those who are important to us. Fred Rogers loved and accepted each and every person he met. He also shared that message of love and acceptance through the camera, truly believing that he could reach children and make a difference in their lives with Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. He'll continue making a difference, even though he passed away almost three years ago, as long as his viewers remember his message.

IPOY.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I loved Mr Rogers so much as a kid! And I still love him. It's sad to think he's gone. He had such a heartfelt show. No one can even begin to compare.

Heather said...

I didn't know that he was a Presbyterian pastor! Michael is approaching ordination in the Presbyterian church and we both work with the youth and young adults at one.