I belong to a book club. In fact, I started the book club when I was working at a non-profit and we were trying to become more of a community gathering place. Well, the gathering place never took off and I don't work there anymore, but our tiny little book club still meets once a month. The membership has never been large. In fact, our 'biggest' meeting had six attendees. Now there are just four of us and we're perfect just the way we are.
Tonight, the book club met at my house. The book was my choice this month and we read Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson. Reactions were varied and the discussion was spunky. As usual, we went off on about a million different tangents. And we laughed.
Now, the book was amusing and full of sarcastic dialogue and strange situations. But the book didn't make us laugh. It was the companionship. The friendship. The pleasantness of getting together with people who love to read as much as you do. We're a multi-generational group. Tonight, I was the youngest person in the room by a good thirty years. 'My two old ladies', as my husband calls them, are both fighting health issues. One of them has just finished radiation therapy for aggressive melanoma and is on a cocktail of cancer drugs. And we still made the effort to get together. To discuss. To laugh.
The funk is gone. I have been blessed by friendship. It's time to stop whining :)
Thursday, November 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I'm so glad you're feeling better! How weird that we had such a similar day. Your book club sounds perfect. Friendship is a blessing, isn't it?
HUGS!!! It is ok to be in a funk but it is so much better to be out of it. I know you are tired of hearing it..but you WILL hold your perfect child one day!
Post a Comment