Sunday, September 23, 2007
Those Darn Game Systems
Okay. So I've got an 8 year old. The birthday/Christams season is approaching. She's been perfectly satisfied with her Leapster game system for the last 3 1/2 years, but we're thinking it's time for an upgrade. I looked at the Nintendo DS, but with a price tag around $130, I'm having a hard time justifying it considering the upcoming trip to Vietnam. So I checked into the Gameboy Advance system and the Amazon user comments seem generally in favor, especially for younger users. However, I know my faithful friends in the world wide web will have opinions... is the DS seriously worth another $50 or can I buy the Gameboy Advance and keep Natalie happy until her teenage years??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
My nieces have both and they play with their Gameboys a lot more than the Gamecube they have. They take the Gameboys in the car with them.
Watch out for doorbuster sales starting in November. I work in this industry and November is when they usually start offering better bundle promotions.
Are you sure you want to enter into the dark side? lol I realize that video games for boys is a completely different and frustrating realm but man, I wish I could go back!
My oldest two have the DS and love them so that's my vote. Plus I don't want to look like the only sucker. :)
Ava has a Gameboy Advance and she loves it. Although Natalie is older, so she is probably more aware of the "cool" (i.e. expensive) toys. Ava has no idea what's hip yet. :)
My daughter is 10yrs old. She is dying to get a newer version of the DS. She loves it. She also has the Gameboy Advance and the games for the Gameboy fit the DS. I would vote DS. Just get extra pens.
As you may know, Natalie's cyber-to-be-boyfriend, Walker Booth, has a little gaming habit. He and his 7-year old cousins have been Advance boys for about a year. (I put it off as long as possible too)
WB has been very responsible with his Advance, it has never been damaged or misplaced. He has generally been satisfied. However, you know that peers drive a lot of this stuff and all of his friends have moved to the DS. We have decided to get him a DS for Christmas (selfishly to occupy him on the trip to Vietnam). It seems like more games are becoming available only in DS.
My thought--Advance is fine, but it is like buying outdated computer equipment. Spend the extra $$ and the DS will see her through to teendom.
Dianna -
My brother and sis-in-law got Gameboys for their kids not long ago at a pawn shop for about $20-30. It seems that every time something newer and cooler comes out, there are perfectly good ones that get pawned. You might consider - besides, you could have an adventurous afternoon shopping! :)
Post a Comment