Thursday, September 28, 2006

Positive Thoughts

Thanks for letting me get all that off my chest yesterday. My stress levels have been building lately and all the crappy news just drove me over the edge. So I posted a grouchy entry on my blog and watched Project Runway and ate those little pumpkin candy thingies that only come out at Halloween. I love those things!

Then, because I was still grouchy and not at all tired, I decided to watch a repeat of the first episode of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, a new show by Aaron Sorkin who I also love, but not quite as much of those pumpkin candies. He's never done a show that I didn't get into immediately, which is why I didn't watch it Monday night. My life doesn't need another television program on my viewing schedule (although admittedly, right now my viewing schedule consists of Project Runway and NCIS. In January, I'll add Monk and Psych back to the mix). Besides, we're football fans. That means for five or six months out of the year, there is football on Mondays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Football is a great way to add background noise and an occasional great play to quilting and reading time on the couch.

So anyway, I'm rambling. But the point is, I made a decision not to watch it and I didn't. And now tonight I did. And I jumped right into the fast pace, the jumpiness that is an Aaron Sorkin trademark, and the character interactions. I like the sarcastic dialogue, the half-finished sentences, and frankly, the intelligence of the writing. There's a previous blog post around here somewhere about how much television sucks these days. Evidently, Aaron Sorkin is back to improve my opinion :) I loved West Wing. I loved Sports Night. And now, it seems I'm going to have to watch another episode of Studio 60 on Monday.

Here's why I love Aaron Sorkin. He did a live blog during the show in which he answered questions from viewers. This was his first entry:

In the interest of getting to as many questions as possible, I thought I'd provide some answers in advance:

1. That had to be cut for time.
2. You'll see much more of him in Episode 2.
3 That was Tommy's fault. (Tommy is the other writer)
4. Her hair will be down in Episode 2.
5. Well, it gets better.


It felt good to giggle a little bit. Today, I am confident that we'll hear one way or the other about the house and that our social worker will call to reschedule our homestudy visit. See? Positive thoughts. Nice change from yesterday, right?

No comments: