Monday, January 07, 2008

Love Them All The Same

One of the questions I get these days... and one I asked myself before our new daughter came home... is if I love Phoebe the same way I love Natalie and Anna. And the answer is... nope.

I love Natalie for her wide smile, sarcastic sense of humor, and the way she jumps into life with both feet. I adore her love of reading and the way school makes her happy the way nothing else does. I love her ever-increasing social life and the phone calls and the parents who tell me they think Natalie is terrific when they invite her for play dates. I love the way she treats her little sisters and her pets, with compassion and caring far beyond what I would expect from a nine year old. I love watching her become a young woman.

I love Anna for her shy little heart. For the slight bit of jealousy that keeps her cuddling and kissing and hugging. For the sensitive soul that leaks crocodile tears at small slights, easily soothed with a few words. I love her joy in the little things and I love the big eyes that take in the world around her. I love Anna's insistence that I repeat her every word, reinforcing the new words or concepts that she has learned. I love watching her imagination soar as she plays with her toys and I can't wait to see where that imagination leads her as she grows.

I love Phoebe for her courage and strength in taking on a whole new life. I love each milestone, whether weight gains or new foods or those tentative first steps. I love her grin and the way her tiny fingers pick up the Gerber puffs on her high chair tray. I love the way she chases the cats and dog and the way she scoots along the floor. I love watching her with her sisters, matching their actions and learning from what they say or do. I love the confidence she gains each day, becoming more sure in the knowledge that we will meet her needs and spoil her rotten.

I don't love them all the same. But I love each of my daughters more than I can ever say.

7 comments:

Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

I'm a little teared up over here. You are such a good Mom!

Laura said...

I know exactly what you mean - each one of my three is my favorite, for very different reasons!

Leigh said...

Well said!

Funny, I worried about this topic more than a little before we traveled. Once we saw DoriGrace all of my fears were eliminated. It isn't the same, they are different, but still equally as precious!

Rachel said...

That's so sweet. I'm still amazed at just how different my girls are. It certainly took some getting used to, but it's so true that you can love them equally but in completely different ways.

Unknown said...

the best gift you can give your children is to love them for who they are and encourage their tender souls. great job for seeing who they are and appreciating that

Kim said...

VERY well said! Your girls will love to read that.

DawnHa said...

Lovely thoughts. I'm sure your girls will cherish them.