On the one hand, we have the referral for our beautiful daughter. We already love her and talk about how she'll fit into our household. We know who she is. We know where she is. We know our paperwork is in process in Vietnam and that she'll be home in the next few months. Her picture is on the fridge, and I have her photo album in my purse. We've started to buy things she will need, and we're getting ready to rearrange every bedroom in our house to make room for her. I can't wait to set up the crib and wash all of her clothes and, most of all, get on a plane to bring her home.
On the other hand, this whole thing seems completely unreal. I have a daughter in Vietnam. Uh huh. It's been 6 weeks since our referral and there sure hasn't been anything 'concrete' that proves it to me. No one has handed me a baby. No one has asked me to sign a birth certificate. No one has sent me flowers or gifts for the baby. And I'm not begging for presents here... I'm just pointing out that it obviously doesn't feel real to anyone else yet either. When she comes home, I'm sure the mailbox will be full with well-wishes. Then it will be real. THEN I'll officially be a mother again. Until then, I'm hovering in this weird limbo.
What I need is more pictures of my sweet baby girl. Has her hair grown out or have the nannies cut it again? Is she gaining weight? Getting taller? Is she rolling over and wiggling? Does she smile and laugh or is she a serious baby? These are the things I need to know. And there's only one solution. Adam's mommy, Kathy, must get her G&R soon! Then SHE can visit Phoebe for me and give me the scoop. Along with as many pictures as it's possible to take while being distracted by her son :)
Come on Kathy - it's time for you and that cow suitcase to head to Vietnam and make this adoption a little more real for me... AND you!
Friday, August 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
I remember that feeling so well. I think I shopped and decorated just to make my child feel more real. It's hard, being in that waiting place. I hope you get more photos and info soon, and that you find lots of distractions to help the wait to travel fly by!
I can see what you mean; it's got to be a surreal feeling in all sorts of ways.
I am over here cheerleading for Kathy to get her G&R -- for her own sake, of course, and so we can all see more of Phoebe's sweet toes and cheeks!
I was just thinking that the other day. After we get that referral it will be like oh my I'm a Mom even though he will be so far away. It must be the weirdest feeling. The house is starting to fill up with baby stuff yet it still feels so unreal at times.
You are so right. It is the weirdest feeling. Some where between real and not real.
I never really thought about that but I can imagine it being pretty weird. Looking forward to updates on Phoebe! I love the picture you have on the side. Just precious.
Retail therapy can only go so far, right? I so remember the feeling of longing for your child. Hang in there - you have to hear something soon!
This is the hardest part, but you'll make it through.
: )
The cow suitcase and I are MORE than ready to go! LOL!
I know how you feel, everything being in limbo. But, eventually you'll be covered in drool, spit up and find yourself amongst stinky, poopy diapers. Then it will get a little TOO real. :)
Post a Comment