Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Caught Ya!

Phoebe has been going to daycare two days a week for about a month now and she always sobs when I drop her off and pick her up. Until you've seen Phoebe cry, you can't understand how heartbreaking this is. Her entire face crumples and tears start instantly and it's really the most pitiful sight. Knowing that our youngest daughter is a bit of a drama queen, we've tried to take this in stride, especially since the daycare staff assure us that she's doing fine. Still, it hurts to leave with those big ol' tears rolling down her chubby cheeks. And, as I mentioned, she cries when I pick her up at the end of the day too. As soon as she sees me, she stretches her arms out and starts sobbing like her heart will break. I've been feeling like a terrible mama.

Until yesterday. Yesterday, I came around the corner and Phoebe didn't see me right away. She was sitting on the floor playing with two little boys and a ball. Actually, I'm pretty sure she'd just taken the ball away from the one little boy, but they all looked content and relaxed. When Phoebe looked up at me and started the waterworks, I laughed and told her to knock it off. Which she did. Immediately. And started waving bye bye to her teacher.

She's a bit too clever for her own good. Or mine!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Adam did the same thing in the beginning. I think once we are gone, they forget and get involved in playing. Seeing us brings back the fact that we left. She'll get to the stage where you'll be greeted with a glorious smile.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how quickly they learn these things. At least you can rest easy knowing she's not crying all day...she's just stealing toys. :)